The Intercollegiate Online News Network is a set of individuals, academic programs and professional organizations dedicated to connecting student web journalists and campus news websites and to advancing education in web and online journalism.
One goal of ICONN is to foster and encourage good journalism and high standards of journalism education through campus news web sites where students are free to learn, experiment, fail and succeed in constructing the future of journalism.
We want to assist faculty and journalism programs as they make the shift in their curricula from heavy or exclusive emphasis on traditional news media to the emerging online environments in which journalism is increasingly being practiced.
We seek to be inclusive and supportive, believing that no individual or group has all the answers or all the good ideas. We believe the future holds great promise and exciting opportunities for all who will embrace it.
ICONN is an organization dedicated to free expression and the rights and ideals embodied by the First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.
Membership is open to any individual, academic program, campus news web site, organization or company who is interested in advancing web journalism and education in using the web for news and information and supports the goals outlined in our mission statement.
Campus news web sites that join are eligible to use the JeffersonNet content management system by agreeing to share content (with proper credit given to the originator) with other ICONN member websites. .
There are no membership dues or fees.
Articles of Incorporation
1. Name: Intercollegiate Online News Network
2. Purpose: The purpose of this organization is to provide association for individuals and organization interested in the development of campus news web site and web journalism within collegiate and scholastic journalism programs.
3. Pecuniary gain: The organization does not provide pecuniary gain for its members.
4. Term of existence: The organization will be in existence until dissolved by its Board of Directors.
5. Location: School of Journalism and Electronic Media, 333 Communications Building, Knoxville, TN 37996. Telephone: 865-974-5109.
6. Incorporator: James G. Stovall, School of Journalism and Electronic Media, 333 Communications Building, Knoxville, TN 37996. Telephone: 865-974-5109.
7. Board of Directors (initial, serving two year terms)
James G. Stovall
School of Journalism and Electronic Media
333 Communications Building
Knoxville, TN 37996
Department of Communication
George Mason University
4400 University Drive, 3D6
Fairfax, VA 22030
Grady College of Journalism & Mass Communication
120 Hooper Street
Athens, Georgia 30602-3018
8. Liability: No incorporator or board member accepts personal liability for corporate obligations.
9. Capital stock: The corporation does not have capital stock.
10. Distribution upon dissolution: Bylaws provide for the Board of Directors to decide on distribution of assets upon dissolution of the organization.
11. Membership: The corporation (organization) will have members in addition to those on the Board of Directors.